Friday, 22 June 2012

A 'Colossal' Contender in the Mascara beauty ring + ELF mascara primer review

Hi ladies,

I took a bit of a break from blogging yesterday as I thought I was bombarding everyone with post after post. You know what they say 'Too much of a good thing...' is um spamming?

I posted a sneak preview of my lashes with the mascara on facebook and the lovely ladies over there loved the effect it gave and were all dying to know what the mystery mascara was but I left them in suspense so TA DAH... Today I'm coming at you with a review of the Maybelline Colossal Mascara in Black and the ELF mascara primer while I'm at it.

The Maybelline mascara retails at £7.19 and is currently on a 3 for 2 offer in both Superdrug and Boots.

The ELF studio mascara primer retails at £3.75 (I just noticed ELF has increased their prices) and is available at http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~311.htm.

Maybelline Colossal Mascara



What they say

Up to 7x more volume in just 1 coat! Colossal brush, Colossal volume, Colossal impact. Discover the new Colossal mascara from Volum' Express, the world's no. 1 mascara brand**.The collagen enriched formula plumps your lash look for mega impact. Simple and quick to use: dip your Colossal brush and with this 1 coat of mascara generously charge your lashes for Colossal volume.





What I have to say




As you can see, it has quite a big wand. It got a bit clumpy at the end which I had to wipe off. People talk about wet and dry formulas but I'm not a mascara expert and this isn't particularly wet or dry. It can be quite difficult to work with big wands as it can touch your eyelid once you've finished all your shadow which can leave you feeling Hulk level anger!! 

I never believe the wild claims Mascara companies make so I have no idea whether it gave me 7x more volume but it did a very good job. On a side note WHY OH WHY do they put lash inserts when advertising their mascara? Surely, that just means they think alone the mascara is crap!? Aaaaaanyhu  I'll let the photos do the talking...*cue close up creepy eye photos* I should add that I made a complete noob mistake and forgot to apply any other make up hence all the darkness around my eyes.

Before

After

Guess which lashes have the mascara on them ladies. I know it's difficult but persevere, you can figure it out!


ELF mascara primer

What they say

Lengthen and volumize eyelashes instantly with this Mascara Primer. Revitalize lashes with Pro-Vitamin B5, Hydrolyzed Wheat and Soy Protein-enriched formula. An excellent conditioning base for mascara. Coat each lash with this nourishing primer for lashes that appear naturally thicker, longer and stronger!




What I say

I have never had a Mascara Primer before and was interested in them as the fibres that attach to the ends of the lashes could help my stumpy lashes appear longer. However, the other ones I had looked at were a bit too expensive so as usual I turned to ELF to provide me with a cheap alternative. When I applied the primer alone as you can see above it left my lashes a bit white but I didn't notice a huge improvement on the length of my lashes. I then applied the Colossal mascara on top and well instead, of yapping on here are some photos...





 



I then took a few photos comparing the lashes with the mascara alone and the other eye which had the ELF primer underneath.





Ok so how shall we do this...On YOUR left are the lashes without the primer. I personally prefer it as the lashes on the right with the primer seem to be a bit clumped together.

UPDATE
I applied it again this morning but decided to use one coat instead of lashings like I did above to give you a better idea.




Summary

In short, I am a fan of the mascara and if the reaction to the photo I posted on facebook is anything to go by others like it too. The primer on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of. I don't really have issues with mascara wearing off or crumbling but if you do maybe the primer would help with those issues?

What is your favourite mascara ladies and do you see the point of mascara primer?

Till next time...Toodles! x














12 comments:

  1. Oh I've had that mascara before and it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised how much I liked it till I experimented for this post :)

      Delete
  2. one I've not tried, it looks great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it after seeing it in quite a few 'drugstore' mascara faves on youtube. Let me know how it goes if you buy it x

      Delete
  3. I love all maybelline mascaras - they are all great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, I don't think I've tried any other Maybelline mascara's. I have the Max Factor false lash effect to use next but after that I may venture into more Maybelline. Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  4. I loveeeee that mascara and have about 3 of them!!! i normally get the waterprof one but it is a hassel to get off lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I haaaate waterproof mascara. I gave my waterproof one to my mum because it was such a nightmare to remove!! This colossal one is really easy to remove, I just use some of my superdrug hot cloth cleanser and it's gone :)

      Delete
  5. Haven't used any of Maybelline's mascaras before, but will definitely be going out to buy this one! :-) Fab post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! Let me know what you think of it if you do give it a go x

      Delete
  6. Mez your eyelashes are PERFECT!! I am so jealous! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you so much for the compliment but believe me I have the shortest lashes ever! The 'before' picture in hindsight has been taken at a flattering angle and the rest is down to lashings of mascara. My brother has beautiful long lashes, what an absolute waste eh? Lol thanks for the comment x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)