Thursday, 11 October 2012

How I clean my make up brushes - very simple!

Hi ladies

Right, so I should begin my saying I didn't intend to do this post. There are so many videos/posts on this very topic sprawled across the world wide web and I just don't feel I have anything special to add. Having said that, I've had 3 requests for it and 3 is a huge number for a small blog such as mine so I thought I'd do a quick post.

I have no idea how often I clean my brushes because I don't use them regularly but once they've been used 5/6 times (this would be spanned out over quite some time) I probably give it a wash. In between I wipe it on a wet wipe. I owned the MAC spot cleanser but never used it so I sold it.



Step by step guide


1. Grab your dirty brushes - 'don't nobody want to be wiping that bacteria back on their face'. Other than bacteria, dirty brushes may be less affective and can sometimes smear product on the face instead of helping to properly blend it in.







2. Pop some Johnsons baby bath/baby shampoo in the palm of your hand. I use this as it's already in my bathroom but I know others use designated brush cleansers & an inexpensive one I've heard good things about is the ELF brush shampoo. Other people use oil based cleansers such as the lovely Hafsa who discussed cleaning her brushes easily with DHC cleansing oil over on her blog.



3. Swirl the brush around (I do the more dense brushes like the one below with quite a lot of force so it cleans all the way inside.


4. Squeeze the excess water out
5. Lay flat on the edge of the table - never dry them standing up as water may loosen the glue inside and that's not what we want.


Optional (as is everything, other than cleaning your brushes. That is never an option - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).
  • I have brush guards so while wet I pop the brushes in the guards so it maintains its shape. I store them in the brush guards too.
  • Some people find washing their brushes leaves stiff so they use some conditioner to keep them soft. I never have an issue with this so only use baby bath/shampoo.
  • For the proper gunky brushes you can use olive oil to loosen the product before washing.

Ta daaaaahhhh!


You probably knew most of this stuff anyway but for the few that actually found it useful, thanks for reading.

Till next time...Toodles! :)

12 comments:

  1. Good 2 know im doing it right :o) great post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a job I am so lazy at doing. I try to wash my brushes once a week. But I think I should wash my foundation brushes a little more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you and 99% of make up wearers Vicki!

      Delete
  3. Is the "YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE" an indirect to me? Lol I'm way too lazy but I really really should wash our brushes more often. I would love to say this post will make me change my ways but it probably won't. Sorry! When I do clean them I leave them to soak in some head and shoulders shampoo and then rinse them out and leave them to dry on the radiator.

    Great post!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol no it wasn't you don't worry although in hindsight yes it applies to you too! :p

      Delete
  4. I know I've already commented but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    for 100 followers! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (DOES PRIVATE VICTORY JIG)

    MEZ THE BAWSE!!

    OK I'll go now
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha I'll defo mention it in my next blog post. Be sure to be as enthusiastic in that comment too! THANK YOU! :) x

      Delete
  5. Despite the fact that there's LOADS of posts out there on this topic, I still enjoy reading them. I find a lot just over complicate things - I watched a video on it once that went on for ages and I saw no need for that. This is nice and simple though and pretty much how I do my brushes, except I do actually use E.L.F brush shampoo rather than baby shampoo. It's quite good, it makes my stipple brush actually white again and leaves my brushes so soft.

    Emily Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Emily! Glad you liked the post. Next time I place an order I'll give the brush shampoo a go x

      Delete
  6. I use shampoo too or fairy liquid which works quite well too! I really want brush guards but I always wonder if I'd actually use them! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought cheap ebay ones and they're quite good but they don't stand up like the proper ones x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)