Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Black & Gold Laser Mani - Guest Post.

Hi ladies

I have yet another nail post for you today - which can only mean one thing. Let's say it together now - Guest post! Well not really a typical guest post in that she's not a fellow blogger but instead a nail prettifying obsessed friend. Throughout our years together in education she came into class with painted nails and as soon as I began this blog I was sure to let her know any pictures would be welcome! ;)

****************************************************************


Hello, so this is known as a laser mani in the nail blogging world.  I love the way it looks, the contrast of black and gold is quite elegant in my opinion. I used H&M Golden Treasure as a base, I let it dry overnight (just because I could) but you can speed up the process by using a dry fast top coat.




The next step is to arrange the striping tape on your nails. Your base colour needs to be absolutely dry before you do this, otherwise the striping tape will pull off the polish underneath!  How you arrange the striping tape on your nails is completely up to you. I can be quite pedantic and knew if I went for a particular design (my first thought was diagonal stripes) and they didn't all look fairly identical I would be annoyed so I went with random lines. 




I used Barry M Black to paint over the striping tape. I did a nail at a time, pulling off the tape while the black polish was still wet. This gives a much cleaner line than allowing the top polish to dry before removing the tape. Give the top layer of polish a decent amount of time to dry before adding top coat, you don't want to ruin all that hard work by smudging those crisp lines!


Tip: Try to choose a one coater polish for the top. The formula of the Barry M was a little thin and aside from having to do two coats, it had a tendency to flood my cuticles when I wasn't being as careful as I ought. The problem with this is that when you remove the striping tape, the polish might bleed into the clean lines you've just created. 


Hope you like the nails and a big thanks to Mez for allowing me to show them off!


****************************************************************

I'm sure you'll all agree, this is a gorgeous Mani. Big thanks to my lovely friend for this post and maybe just maybe if you compliment her enough in the comments, she'll do another look for us? ;)

Till next time...Toodles! :)

14 comments:

  1. great tutorial! I've never tried H&m polishes before but that gold is lovely! xxx

    http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this mani, it also looks great with ombre colours underneath the nails so that at each little peekaboo a different shade comes through.

    lovely work! is your friend a professional?

    http://tansandtiaras.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha she's not a pro but I passed on the message and she was so chuffed with your comment. Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. How nice are those nails? What a pro!

    Julie
    sweetsaremyweakness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - passed on the message :) x

      Delete
  4. Really loved this look, and appreciated the tips! I have striping tape but wasn't sure exactly what to do with it! Now I know to remove it while the polish is still wet! And the one coat top colour tip will probs save me a few tears & tantrums!
    Will definitely give this look a go! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the post gave you some tips Julie. Go forth and prettify your nails x

      Delete
  5. Great guest post! I need to try my hand at a bit of nail art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totes need to try this! But what is striping tape? Is it just regular sellotape?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's a special nail thing. google it x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)