Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Guest Post - The Maid Up Maiden does nail art!


Hi ladies
Today I have quite the treat for you! Me and Nalini organised a guest blogging swap on Twitter recently and my end of the post has been up on her blog since Sunday, all about my Top 5 glosses/tinted balms. After you work your way through Nalini's great nail art tutorial, be sure to check it out! Hope you enjoy seeing something nail related on my blog for once and be sure to give Nalini a warm welcome in the comments and over on her blog :)
Hello lovelies!
Let me begin by introducing myself. My name is Nalini and I live in Australia. I am obsessed with beauty products and have a little beauty blog called The Made Up Maiden, where I regularly share my thoughts on my favourite products (and sometimes, my not-so-favourite products). I am also a big fan of nail art and makeup looks! I 'met' and became friends with Mez on Twitter, and when she asked if anyone was keen on doing a guest blogging swap, I jumped at the chance! Do check out Mez's post on her top five favourite glosses/balms on my blog, here. Mez mentioned that she doesn't often showcase nails on her blog and would love a nail art tutorial, so I put together the following post on a simple tape manicure for her. 


Please excuse the less-than-clean lines from this manicure, I was in too much of a hurry to photograph this tutorial to wait too long in between polish layers.

All you will need for this nail art tutorial are three nail polish shades (you can always leave it at two, if you like), some Scotch tape (otherwise known as sticky tape) and topcoat. If you don't have a dispenser, you might want to cut some lengths of tape before you proceed with your manicure. Basecoat is also really good (as it prevents the polish from staining your nails), but not terribly imperative.
  
Begin by painting your nails with basecoat (unless you're skipping this step). Then, choose a colour for your main/primary shade and paint all your nails (I chose a teal polish called Marine by piCture pOlish for mine). Wait a sufficient time for them to dry thoroughly (they shouldn't just be touch dry but dry all the way through). If you can, leave them for a couple of hours before you move on to the next step, as putting sticky tape on your nails when they aren't fully dry will just pull off your polish and leave smudges.


When you're certain your polish is dry, take short sections of tape and apply them over your nails the way you wish your pattern to form. I chose to do them diagonally for the first layer. Apply them on the back of your hand first to remove some of the 'stickiness' as it will make it easier to work with. Lay the tape flat over your nail, ensuring that there are no bubbles or gaps as this will cause your polish to 'bleed'. 


Take your second polish shade and paint over above the tape (I chose a mint polish called After Dinner Mint by Face of Australia). Move on quickly to the next nail until you have finished painting all five fingers. Then, gently pull off the tape while the polish is still wet, this ensures you will get a clean line between both polish shades. You should end up with something that looks like this.


Wait a sufficient amount of time before repeating the step above with another layer of tape to add a third colour (I used a pink pastel polish for contrast, called Have Your Cupcake and Eat It Too also by Face of Australia). 


When you're done, finish with a layer of topcoat, and voila, you're done! A simple, easy manicure achievable in a few quick steps! Handy tip - this manicure would also be great with three polishes from the same colour group, or with metallic polishes.



I do hope you enjoyed that post, lovelies, and a big thank you to Mez for participating in this guest blog swap with me and generously allowing me to hijack take over her blog for a little while. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can! Feel free to drop by my blog to check out the other things I have to offer!
Are you big into nail art? Do you think you might give this a try?
Much love,
MM.
x

Great post Nalini! Simple but effective. Even I'm tempted to give it a go but I may need a few nail polishes first. Thank you for hijacking my blog.
To my regular readers, till next time...Toodles! :)

22 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I've done this before but without the sticky tape. Still need to try your nail wraps!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh check you out doing it without the tape! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It's usually a little neater but I was trying in a rush to take the photos. :P

      Well done for doing it freehand! xx

      Delete
  2. Love it - it's gorgeous, 3 beautiful colours and work well together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it? Thanks for leaving her a kind comment Alex x

      Delete
  3. Love it, I've done this design but free handed it taping would have been so much easier xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I could never do it freehanded x

      Delete
    2. Well done for doing it freehand! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the design and the steps look straight forward. I'm still trying to grow my nails so will try this out when I get there lol

    www.mintyessence.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bite my nails ashamedly so don't do anything with them x

      Delete
    2. It is so easy, you should give it a go! :)

      It would also look gorgeous with short nails, I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. This looks great! Love the colours you used! And you have beauuuutiful nails! :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does have lovely nails. mine are extremely short!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Sal! And thank you, Mez, too! :)

      Delete
  6. Loving the art deco nail art! Got to try doing this using tape! =) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rohini! I'm sure you will do a great job! xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely nails- are they real? So neat too! Even if i did it with tape, i would still make a total mess of them!

    Rolana xx

    www.ohsewfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are her real nails :)

      Delete
  8. Yes, Rolana, they are my real nails. :)

    Thank you so much for the compliment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. COMFORT. CLASS. CREATIVITY. It's what we do!

    A t-shirt is not just a piece of clothing. It is a statement - and the STAY tees set you classes apart from the crowd! STAY Clothing brings you an exclusive range of t-shirts that you will love to wear and that lets you flaunt your taste and wear your imagination!

    What makes STAY unique?
    STAY strongly follows the 3Cs constituting their success: Comfort. Class. Creativity.

    Comfort: Just slip into a STAY t-shirt to experience the ultimate comfort on your days off, on your fun Fridays (and slow Tuesdays), on a regular college day and on your beach holiday! After all, your true style is known from what you wear on your days off!

    Class: Wearing the tees by STAY Clothing does not only change your view of the world but it also changes the world’s view of you! These classy tees are everything you love about a soft, form fitting, incredibly stylish tee. STAY’s high quality products are the ultimate blend of style and comfort - conferring on you, a relaxed and cool look, which is what sets you classes apart from the crowd.
    www.stayclothing.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)