Monday, 26 November 2012

Shopping Shenanigans - Foundation samples, fake snow & festivity.

Hi ladies

Today I thought I'd do a little catch up post. No collections, no reviews and no swatches. On Saturday I went to Oxford Street. I had been meaning to buy something from Selfridges with my giftcard and thought I would take advantage of their 10% discount. When I got out of Bond Street station I was greeted with snow! There was excitement all around me and these 2 ladies were shocked and about to share the news on some form of social media (the natural reaction to seeing snow nowadays) until I had to burst their bubble and inform them it was fake! Pretty and fun, but fake.





The atmosphere on Saturday was great! Christmas songs in the shops, lots of hustle and bustle with Selfridges being busier than I had ever seen and lots of shoppers singing along, captivated by the festive spirit. It's rare that I go shopping by myself but I really enjoyed it! I was able to go round and take my time (admiring lots of make up obviously).


Here is my little purchase, which no doubt I will be reviewing soon - any guesses as to what it is?


This was my other little purchase - I disgustingly bite my nails - I have done so for a long long time! I know it's disgusting, I know I might as well just lick a toilet seat (Why I would do that, I have no idea) but I just can't help it. The more I've gotten into the beauty world, the more I have realised how nail obsessed people are. I only own one nail polish which I received over on BBS and until now it really hasn't bothered me how unattractive my nails are. If anything, it's one less thing to spend money on! However, I want to try and defeat the habit and grow my nails. I picked up the Sally Hansen maximum growth daily nail treatment to aid me on this journey. It was on offer in Superdrug for £3.75 so I can't really go wrong. I am keeping a nail photo diary so I can do a blog post showing you the results. Have you tried this before?


Lastly, as I was on my own, I found I wasn't rushed so I grabbed a few foundation samples. Like plenty of others, I get really embarrassed and nervous asking for samples. I feel I can only ask when I've made a purchase but yesterday I braved it and managed to come away with three samples! Yippeeee :) The only place I was rejected a sample was Urban Decay. I swatched the Naked foundation on my hand though and I was impressed.


  • The Estee Lauder sample was easy to ask for because I made a purchase there. I tried out the invisible fluid as I've heard good things about it recently. I thought it could be something to compare the MAC face and body too so potential post there. 
  • I then went to the Armani counter where there was a sign up about getting a sample of their latest foundation, the Maestro foundation. I asked the assistant to match me but before doing so I asked whether it would be good for dry skin and she said no. Instead I came away with a sample of the Luminous Silk foundation. I gave it a whirl that evening as I went out for dinner. I liked it although it gave quite a lot of flashback which is a big no no for me. 
  • Lastly, I stopped by the Lancome counter and asked which foundation was best for dry skin and she matched me to the Teint Miracle.


So, that's that - hope you enjoyed this somewhat random post. I feel like I haven't blogged in a while so wanted to have a little catch up (in live time so to speak). For those celebrating, how is your Christmas shopping going?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

EDIT: I had quite a few products on my face in hindsight (from trying things on whilst shopping) so it might not have been the Armani foundation that caused the flashback.

20 comments:

  1. Good work on the foundation samples! I can never work up the courage to ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually like that too but yesterday I just braved it! They have little pots for a reason, it must be something they're use too ;)

      Delete
  2. Oooh what did you get? I need to go to Selfridges soon! (Haven't been in a while). I love foundation samples (I have more samples than actual full sizes, but I prefer having a choice. Which Urban Decay did you go to? I managed to get a sample from the one in Debenhams =)

    And coming from a fellow nail biter, it's actually really hard at first to stop, but after they grow a bit and start looking nice then it's easier to stop biting them. Just remember to keep a nail file on you at all times, so if you're about to bite your nails, then you can file them down instead. Weird, but it works =) And if spend a little on nail stuff, then you feel like you have to grow them so you can use the products (a bit of psychology thrown in there!) =)

    Asmaa

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha mammoth comment there Asmaa! Love it :) It was actually in Debenhams where I was refused. Ahh well. I also love foundation samples and have accumulated quite a few but I'm still so nervous when asking. As for nails, your psychology makes sense. Having spent a few measly quid on this growth stuff has motivated me not to bit ;)

      Delete
  3. sounds like a lovely day in london... love all the xmas decorations!!!
    can't wait for the foundation reviews... Teint Miracle is one of my top5 favourite foundations! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fellow nail bitter too! I need to do the challenge too! Great foundation samples x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Sandra, we can do this together! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You know when you take a photo with flash and you look like a ghost?

      Delete
  6. I love going round department stores on my own and taking the time to swatch swatch swatch!
    I'll hazard Estée Lauder double wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so much better - I usually have someone with me who isn't as beauty obsessed! Hmmm close guess ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm always too scared to ask for samples too, though I know plenty do it! I feel like i'm committing to buy something if I even make eye contact! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha kelly oh I know how you feel! So blimmin intimidating!

      Delete
  8. Ah, I thought I was alone in my fear of asking for samples but I guess not! I really want to try out the new Armani foundation, I never thought that I'd say this but thank God I have oily skin! ;) x love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let me know what you think if you brave it :)

      Delete
  9. Aww sounds so magical! So good you got three samples! Well done! =D x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm the same, I almost never ask for samples as I feel the sales assistants can't stand that which is weird because if they're willing to match you up, take the time to give advice etc it's much more likely I'm going back to purchase something. Oh and btw reading this post I got so excited, I've been there on the very same day! Would of been so funny if I had met you on Oxford St. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I wonder if you would have recognised me? As for samples, I just realised NARS have always refused to give me one x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)