Sunday, 23 December 2012

Mez's Make Up Awards 2012 - All things Lips!

Hi ladies

Welcome to the next set of awards. Nice to see you all in your glad rags for this special occasion. 2012 has definitely been the year of playing up the lips for me. To think I started this year scared of anything remotely bright on my lips and am ending it having worn bright reds and deep purples. I find even if a person doesn't have a scrap of make up on but has popped on a bit of colour on their lips, it looks like a bit of an effort has been made. On we go...

The award for the best red lipstick goes to...MAC Russian Red - £14/3g


I started the year only wearing this in the confines of my room *cue sad lonely images* and have ended it being able to rock this colour way more. It's a matte but it isn't particularly drying provided I moisturise my lips beforehand. It is very pigmented but as I've mentioned on my blog before, you can dot this on the lips for a more subtle look. Russian Red is quite the iconic MAC lipstick colour and this is what helped me take the plunge into the world of red lips!

The award for the best 'plum' lipstick goes to...Benefit No Competition - £14/3g


Benefit lipsticks were never on my radar and I came across this somewhat accidentally this year. I tried it on at the counter and fell in love. I needed to make up a category in these make up awards just to talk about this gorgeous deep, plummy lipstick. I can apply it sheerly or build it up to make it perfect for the vampy looks of the winter. It's a creamy formula and I have the mini sample sizes which I got from BBS and are perfect to carry around.
Honorary mention: MAC plumful. Last year plumful would have easily trumped this category but I discovered No Competition in 2012 and I used it more so that's why it won.

The award for the best nude lipstick goes to...Clinique blushing nude - £16.50/4g


Another lipstick I discovered this year and was included in my Top 5 natural lipsticks. This is very much a pinky nude/natural looking lipstick on my lips and I like the creamy formula. When I made the decision to use more of my make up on a regular basis I started with trying to wear natural lipsticks and this is what I began with.

The award for the best lip gloss goes to...No 7 Poppy King number five intrigue - £11/7g


I picked this up on a whim when they were on a crazy sale in Boots earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth and pigmented it was. If ever I need a very subtle daytime red lip, this is what I would turn too. I think this particular shade was limited edition but they have another red in the range.

The award for the best lip liner goes to...Rimmel lasting finish 1000 kisses - £2.99


I have three shades as they were on 3 for 2 in Superdrug and I'd heard good things from Sammi's video aka BeautyCrush. These are in - wine, spice and tiramisu. I don't use these as a typical liner but use them to fill in my whole lip like a lipstick. They are pigmented and not too drying, making them perfect for the price.

The award for the best lip balm goes to...Burts Bees Pomegranate - £3.69/4g


Near the end of the year I have been using up some of my other balms but I used this balm from last year and most of this year. I remember being so impressed with this when I first discovered it as till then I had only been using vaseline. I have only ever used the pomegranate one but they have a variety if pomegranate isn't your thing. It also contains 100% natural ingredients.

The award for the best lip stain/innovative product goes to...YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy stain - £22.50


I'm sure many of you will remember the post I did this summer on my 'most extravagant purchase'. At £22.50 this is way more than I would spend on a single item (that isn't foundation). I wanted to spend my giftcard on something I would never buy myself and that I couldn't dupe on the high street. I decided on this and I haven't been disappointed. Most lip stains are drying - the revlon balm stains released after I bought this (not that I'm comparing the two) but this is glossy and as was proved in my 18 hour experiment; very long lasting!


So that's another set of awards that have come to an end - you don't have to go home but you gotta get the hell outta here - Sorry I've always wanted to say that! Don't go. I take it back.

Please share your lip awards in the comments below OR do your own post on it and let me know.

I hope you're enjoying these awards as much as I was excited making them. I received great feedback on the skincare & perfume set of awards so thank you! Keep your eyes peeled for the next set of Awards.

Till next time...Toodles! :)

16 comments:

  1. I really want to try the YSL Glossy Stain. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - hope you manage to give it a go x

      Delete
  2. I want a YSL Lip Stain too! Russian Red is fab x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Mez - can't believe you started the year off without bright lips! I'm not as confident as you with the lippies yet - have to be in the mood but getting there! The Mac Russian Red looks a lovely one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha shocking right? You'll get there jenny x

      Delete
  4. I'm desperate to get my hands on that ysl glossy stain! My lipstick of the year would be mac gem of roses, great pink nude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think nudes suit my skin tone personally. It's gorgeous you won't regret it x

      Delete
  5. I love the YSL Glossy stains. It's definitely a favourite of mine this year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay another hi5. What shades do you have? :)

      Delete
  6. I still want to try the YSL glossy stains! Great picks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have MAC Russian Red, and bought it after recommendations from friends, not taking into account they had totally different skin tones to myself. This resulted in me not wearing it out for months, but I have built up the confidence to now wear it, and realised although it is different to many of my other lip colours, it does suit me - if worn with the right attitude! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha red lips are all about the attitude! :)

      Delete
  8. I love the Russian red but I also like the Ruby Woo red from MAC! Great post beans xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)