Friday, 4 January 2013

Foundation Friday - MAC face & body.

Hi ladies

I really wanted to start 2013 with some sort of series on my blog and after giving it some thought I decided on two; one is Foundation Friday and the other you will see on Sunday. No doubt it'll have some sort of S in the title so care to take a guess?

I have acquired lots of foundations this last year (not many full size admittedly) and I drafted a post ages ago going through lots of them but it all got a bit confusing and I have since decided not to feature my face on my blog (I just freaked out at the thought of my face openly out there - sorry) so those photos were as useful as Air Conditioning to an Eskimo (Errmm..ok moving on).

My first ever stock photo on this blog - not happy but I don't have the full size to show you.

I am starting off this series with MAC face & body which is my ultimate Holy Grail foundation. It has been the one foundation that has never let me down in the two years I've discovered it. I put it away since the summer as I have been using the YSL touche eclat foundation but very recently when I was going through an incredibly dry patch I turned back to this and rediscovered my love for it. It retails for £26.50 and you get a whopping 120ml.

Little sample pot I picked up from a MAC counter.


I have used this foundation in shades ranging from c3 to c5. It's such a light consistency that all of them seemed to have blended in although I probably wouldn't go as light as c3 again. As you can see in the sample pot it is a liquidy consistency and that is because it is a water based foundation that provides natural coverage. As a result of this watery consistency, it makes it perfect for my dry skin! I can't stress the word perfect enough to describe this. Well near perfect - Due to the formula it can separate so you need to shake it up first.

The shade is more accurate in the pot - this swatch looks quite orange toned when it is in face more brown based.

The coverage is practically non existent. I have spent two years calling this 'tinted water' so I use lashings of concealer first and then use this to even out my skintone. It is perfect for giving a glowy effect and it photographs beautifully. I lightly powder it with my ELF mineral booster to get rid of the tackiness this can leave behind. I have heard MUA's talk about using this in their make up kit for brides and explain that the coverage can be built up by warming it up or layering it but I have never tried this. I don't doubt that you could build this up without it looking cakey as it's such a thin, light consistency.

You get 3 times as much in this bottle than you get in standard 30ml foundations. I think it's quite the bargain although I guess, if most of it is water, you should get more than you do in others. Also, it's not as concentrated as other foundations so you are likely to use up more. Lastly, I'm not too sure how this would work on oilier skins - I fear it might just slip right off I couldn't say for certain.

Summary

I will visit other MAC foundations in this series but *spoiler* none of which I like as much as this. Heck, I'm not sure I'll ever find another one like this. My ideal foundation = light consistency, natural looking & dewy. Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!

I know this foundation is very love/hate - what side of the fence do you fall on?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

11 comments:

  1. I've only ever tried this when I did my make up course and it looked beautiful on others, but terrible on my combination skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it wouldn't do as wonderful a job on oilier skin :(

      Delete
  2. This didn't work for me at all unfortunately. None of the colors matched my skin so I had to mix N1 and C1 and even at that it was a bit off. It's just not enough coverage for me and as my skin is quite oily it used to wear off. Although, in saying that I've seen it on others where it looks like really perfect skin! Guess that's just the way with foundations!

    Orla x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I understand about the oily skin thing but surprised by the shade issue x

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many good things about this foundation but need coverage! Shame really...looks good! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah this isn't the one for you then unless you build it I guess?

      Delete
  4. I have wanted to try this foundation for a while, I might have to now :)


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think Heather x

      Delete
  5. Looooooool at Eskimo joke! Hahaha oh Bean! Anyway great post but I wonder how this would work on my skin? Maybe if get annoyed with the coverage? Ps check your texts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm not sure this is your sorta foundation tbh m'dear x

      Delete
  6. I have to say I love this foundation! You and I are the same colour :-)

    Love your blog would be happy if you look at my blog and follow me if u like what you see ;-)

    http://thepocketsizedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)