Tuesday, 22 January 2013

My Nail Story - Sally Hansen treatment/My first ever polish!

Hi ladies

Today I will be talking about something that has been a long time in the making. I have bitten my nails for as long as I can remember. I have probably been biting them even before I could remember. Aside from it being a disgusting habit, it didn't really bother me because I wasn't into nail polish in the slightest and had a 'one less expense' attitude to it. However, late last year after realising how big a portion nail polish was of the  beauty blogosphere I was inspired to try and stop the biting.

My nail story -  from bitten up to the longest they've ever been and a few stages in between including 2 polishes I wore during that time. Bottom right shows a weak moment in the cinema. Whoops! Not a reflection of the Sally Hansen treatment.

 Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Daily Nail Treatment - £4.95


In order to take this 'mission nail biting' plan seriously I decided to check out nail growth treatments and my first stop was Sally Hansen. They had quite a range there but this was the cheapest option and was on offer at the time so in my basket it went. Although the bottle makes it seem as though the polish has a pink tone to it the formula actually comes out clear and has a standard nail polish brush applicator. It was easy to apply and dried quickly.

As you can see it promises visible results in 1 week but I was unsure whether that meant layering for 7 days (as most reviews mentioned) or removing each day and reapplying. The photogrid above isn't a reflection of the treatment because I used it for a while and then stopped. I then cut my nails to a similar length on both hands to start the experiment by only applying the Sally Hansen treatment on my left hand.
This photogrid shows the progress over 10 days of mostly layering up and I can see no difference on the nails with the treatment. In fact, my right hand nails look longer than the left.
At the end of 10 days of using the treatment.
In short, I don't think the Sally Hansen Treatment helped with nail growth. It did make the nails feel stronger but when you're layering for 7-10 days and there's all this product on your nails, that will automatically make them feel stronger. After a few days the build up means the product starts getting thick and peeling at the edges. Despite this I don't regret buying it because it was the catalyst for helping me fight the habit. Having spent the money and putting in the effort applying it regularly, I find I was less inclined to bite my nails. I can also use it as a 'top coat' (check me out).

My first ever polish - OPI Nein! Nein! Nein! Ok fine!

OPI nein !nein! nein!
Photo provided by the lovely Anna as this beauty is on it's way to me.

When I went to the #bbloggersxmas event, they had some lovely ladies who were doing OPI manicures and I jumped at the chance to have nail polish applied for pretty much the first ever time. The lady applying the polish seemed more excited than me at hearing this, bless her. I fell in love with the colour and it has since been the first ever polish I have bought (quite fitting I thought). I bought the mini size from Anna who has a fantastic blog. Her swatches and photos of her polish collection even have a non polish wearer like me hugely impressed so check her out if nails are your thing!





















I found it a very cool colour as it looks almost black in some lights, a dark green in others and a beautiful blue with flash.

So that's my nail story - I'm not at the stage where I can say I'll never bite my nails ever again but I'm very happy with my progress and my nails have never been so long in over 20 years! I'm not sure I'd take this step if I hadn't started blogging so yet another thing to thank the blog for.

Hope you enjoyed this ladies. Feel free to comment with any nail tips below. I'm a complete noob!

Till next time...Toodles! :)

15 comments:

  1. Your nails have come along so well, they really do look very healthy! Thank you so much for the mention :) Fingers crossed "Nein..." arrives soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thank you for posting the little beauty :)

      Delete
  2. Mez you are an inspiration! I'm going to have a bash at this too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done really well there Mez - love the OPI Polish! I've never fancied biting my nails - suppose I should think myself lucky! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore OPI nail polish, lovely color! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' really is a beautiful colour. Thanks for commenting Alaina x

      Delete
  5. That is an amazing story! I makes me want to take better care of my nails!

    MissDelovelyCami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. The OPI polish looks beautiful! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you Beanie! Saving the world one post at a time! Love this, so glad you've beaten the habit!

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. For more info on juvederm xc delhi visit www.skindelhi.com/dermalfillers.html

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)