Sunday, 27 January 2013

Sample Sunday - GLAMGLOW Mud Mask

Hi ladies

Yet another Sunday, yet another sample. Dubbed the 'facial in a jar', today we have a mask that seems to have taken Hollywood by storm if the celebrity quotes are anything to go by. I received a sample of this after #Livebloggers last year and since then I have heard great things about it (Grace, co-host of livebloggers reviewed the full size here) so I was very excited to give this a go.


The full size product comes in a jar of similar black and silver packaging. Very Hollywood and somewhat in your face compared to the usual white and black packaging. At £49.99 for the 50ml and £19.99 for the 20ml jar, I have no shame in admitting that this is a mask that was never on my radar. I was able to get two uses from this sample and that is what I am basing this review on.


It comes out as a gritty green mask with lots of little tiny exfoliating bits. The three main ingredients include:

  • Teaoxi which are pieces of tea leaf - responsible for brightening, hydrating and balancing oil levels.
  • Volcanic Minerals - pulverized into Micro Pumice these exfoliate and stimulate microcirculation.
  • French Sea Clay - creates the tingling, absorbs impurities, infuses oils and tightens pores.

GLAMGLOW is cruelty/paraben free and vegan friendly.
A mixture of mostly dried mask and a few wet patches.
GLAMGLOW recommend using a medium layer with a foundation brush to clean skin. Then wait between 5-15 minutes for it to dry and harden before rinsing or using circular motions to deepen the level of exfoliation. Once or twice a week.

I completely skipped the foundation brush aspect of it, applied it to towel dried skin that had just been washed and left it to dry up. Now the clue is in the title and so I was expecting a bit of a tingle but HOLY MOLY! I was surprised by just how intense the 'tingling' was. In fact, tingling I don't think is the correct word for the sensation. Tingling evokes images of light fluffy times (may have something to do with the tickling similarity) whereas this bordered on 'erm hold on, this is getting hot...wow...ohmy...should I wash it off? No, it's too expensive...I'm actually really enjoying it but...*inhale...exhale*...oh I can't move my face...wow this is so cool'.

Ok a slight exaggeration but in short it hardened really quickly to the extent I could barely move my face muscles (think an OTT hollywood scene) and it really felt with that sensation (can't quite think of a word to describe it) that it was doing something. I really enjoyed rubbing it off in circular motions with the help of some water because those gritty bits were perfect for exfoliating all my flaky bits.

The main bit...Did it meet it's claims?

When a company claims to create 'immediate camera-ready glowing skin' and 'deliver everything you need for great skin', it's almost setting itself up to fail. It's hard to praise it more than the company itself have done but in short I really enjoyed using it. Clay masks are notorious for being a bit drying and therefore perfect for oilier skin but this wasn't drying. The best part for me personally (in addition to that crazy sensation) was the exfoliating aspect. Rubbing it off left me almost flake free and I loved the little 'volcanic minerals' which made it much easier to apply my foundation that day. I did notice all the tightening had left the pores on my nose appear less obvious but in all honesty, I would have needed to use the product a few more times to confirm that and see how long the effects last (they claim the results last 3 days). I can't really comment on the 'brightening' because I have never understood what that entails. In my opinion surely any form of exfoliating or cleansing will leave your skin cleaner and in turn brighter? Maybe, that's just me missing the point entirely. 

Sadly, at that price I couldn't wouldn't purchase this product but for those that do spend money like that on their skincare, GLAMGLOW is a really nice product to try. The only people I don't recommend it too are those with sensitive skin. My skin is tough as old boots and I never react to anything (Alhumdulillah - touch wood) but even I found it more than a 'tingle' and the gritty bits (some quite big) may be too coarse or rough on sensitive skin. Either way, this is a product I won't be forgetting in a hurry and I am so glad I was given the chance to try it.

Would you drop this sort of money on a face mask?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

Edit: I just saw that you can buy a sample this size on the GLAMGLOW website for £4.99 which is very exciting! Still a lot for 2 uses but worth it if you're intrigued without spending the big bucks.

21 comments:

  1. I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much on a face mask. Plus I seem to have sensitive skin when it comes to face masks. :( x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this around a lot recently, I love masks so I'd like to try it but I think its a little pricey for what it is.
    I swear by Neutrogena Wash/Mask 2 in 1 I've been using it for over 10 years and I never get spots its amazing plus its about £3.00 so might stick to that haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me laugh when companies make ridiculous claims like that, but the words really do suck you into buying the product! I'd probably purchase it if it was cheaper, sounds like it's not worth the price! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually quite liked this mask but yeah for that price I won't be buying it very soon... I have just too many to finish
    You reviews are always so enjoyable to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If someone promised me that this would do something to fix the shambles that is my skin then I would buy it, but alas it is not to be.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post :)
    I have nominated you for a versatile blogger award :)
    http://chloeleonardmakeupartist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using face masks but i don't think i can justify paying £50 for a mask! Great post! xx
    www.missbeautyadikt.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Mez :) I can't justify the price tag just to give it a go but I don't feel like I'm missing out on it anymore :) I think there are plenty of great face masks for a fraction of the price. I'd really love to try a Origins mask! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm interested in the drink up mask x

      Delete
  9. My skin would be toooo sensitive for this, gah :( x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure I've got a sample of this around the house somewhere.... I'd struggle with spending that much on a mask!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to try this mask! Great review x

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)