Friday, 22 February 2013

MAC paint pot - worth the hype?

Hi ladies

If you have been with me for a while, you will know about my battle with cream shadows. I haven't found one that doesn't crease on me without some sort of primer underneath. Not just any primer at that, so far only the UDPP has done the job of keeping those pesky cream products firmly on my lids. 


I bought this MAC paintpot on BBS many a month ago after hearing nothing but rave reviews. I bought it with the intention that it would brighten up my powder shadows as an almost skin coloured base, I'd be able to use it on it's own to even out my lids and that I could just pop it on with nothing underneath - quick & easy.


It comes in a glass jar, contains 5g of product and retails for £14.50. Turns out this shade was a limited edition colour in the Posh Paradise collection. (Oooo'errr, check me out, all limited edition).



Described by MAC as a light, peachy nude it looks almost like a concealer beige in the pot but once swatched you can see the peachy undertone.


I'm not sure if you can tell in the photo but it does have quite a sheen to it. Not matte and not shimmery but something in between.


Left eye - UDPP, paint pot & powder shadow.
Right eye - paint pot & powder shadow

I soon discovered that I couldn't wear the paint pot by itself because of creasing, so I tried just setting it with powder. That didn't work (as you can see above) so I tried it with the UDPP underneath and hey presto, just like with the color tattoo's, the paint pot stayed firmly on my lids. I'm aware there are a number of finishes so maybe they would last differently?

I was really annoyed with this product at first because I couldn't use it how I wanted too but then over time I realised all cream shadows crease on me without primer, despite the brand or cost. As a result, I'm unlikely to spend the money on these as I can get the same result with cheaper options on the high street. Having said that, MAC has the edge with colour selection, because I am yet to see a 'nude skin colour' option in the Maybelline range.

Which inexpensive cream shadows would you recommend?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

*UDPP - Urban Decay Primer Potion.

10 comments:

  1. I love the paint pots! The colour suits you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful as a base! I love cream shadows even though they creas on me too, essence shadows are inexpensive & I recently came across them (cream shadows) but they dry out quite quickly so I started storing them upside down.
    This color looks nice ! I never came across anything like it either!
    Lovely review xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using paint pots and cream shadows as a base for powder eyeshadows as it intensifies the pigmentation and makes the look last longer. :-)

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just think there more hassle than it's worth because of the creasing x

      Delete
  4. In my experience, oily lids don't go well with cream shadows, perhaps that is contributing? The one I absolutely swear by is Stila Smudge Pot. I discovered it in September and it's been in my professional kit ever since. If you would like I could take some out of the grey one I just bought from ebay and put it in a tester pot for you to try? Since it's you I don't mind sending you a little to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you didn't need to go that hassle. Thank you for the offer x

      Delete
  5. I'm not impressed with the paint pot either... Although the matte ones last better. Definitely prefer the maybelline tattoos. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Api has two of these and as far as I can remember I like them and don't have any creasing problems. But saying that I never have creasing problems. Love the colour though! X

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)