Thursday, 28 February 2013

Tangle Teezer - worth the hype?

Hi ladies

I bought this last November from beautybay when they had a pre-christmas flash sale. I have wanted to buy this for so so long but never wanted to part with the £10.99 price tag in Boots for a hair brush. When I saw it for £7.80 I made an impulse order (if by impulse we mean wanting something for a year). I have put off reviewing this for a few months because to be honest, I just wasn't sure what I thought about it.


I went for the original tangle teezer in a bright orange (sometimes I don't know why I feel the need to mention such obvious things) instead of the newer ones with the handles and the random flowerpot one.


The curved shape means that despite there being no handle, you can fit your hand round it with a degree of comfort. I think this shape is fine for people that don't have much hair like me but if you have thick, long hair this may go flying all over the place.


The 'unique teeth configuration' is meant to equal 'rapid, pain-free detangling' and 'high shine'. Now to get to the actual review. Do I think it's worth it?

When I first used it, I remember being seriously underwhelmed. I'm not sure what I expected. I didn't expect my hair to suddenly be worthy of a L'oreal advert (cue images of me pushing Cheryl aside screaming it's because I'M worth it actually). I did however hope that it would glide through my hair without any hair loss and that's where the TT didn't quite cut it.

In short, the brush does glide through my hair without any pain or struggle, however, I still have lots of hair coming off onto the brush. I have issues with hair loss anyway so I'm not sure why I thought it would be any different because of the brush (I'm concentrating on hair oils at the moment to help with this). It was because of this issue that I wasn't a big fan at first but when I began using my old brush again I noticed I missed the 'pain-free detangling' when combing through wet hair.

All in all this is quite a 'meh' review but that isn't a reflection of the TT but more of my hair type. It isn't a must for people with thin hair in my opinion but I think the Tangle Teezer would be great for people with thick, long knotty hair. I wanted this brush because I thought it would help reduce the amount of hair I lose after combing but it hasn't done that to the extent I'd hoped (although it probably does help). If I hadn't had such high expectations of it performing miracles, I'm guessing this review would be way more enthusiastic.

Has anyone tried the £1.50 dupe in Primark?

Till next time...Toodles! :)


12 comments:

  1. I have thick and long hair, so for me it would work? I'm a little sceptical.. I only brush my hair when I'm in the shower, because otherwise I'm just a big ball of frizz!
    But it's hard to comb out my tangles and I have quite some when I comb my hair. I only wash my hair once or twice a week, you see. I'd love to read about the Primark dupe too before I consider buying this.
    I appreciate your honest review! I think it's one of the best (and most honest) review I read about this brush :) Everyone is hyping it up and at a certain moment you just don't know what to believe! So thank you :)

    Well, this comment got longer than I wanted lol! Sorry!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha don't apologise I love this comment. It really is hard to know whether something is worth the hype. Will let you know if I try the Primark version x

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply and for wanting to try the Primark version! You're an angel :) X

      Delete
  2. I have this too and I was expecting it be amazing based on the all the raves. Its good but I dont think its "must have" for anyone...and its bit expensive for just a bit of plastic if you ask me.

    I didnt know you are having problems with hair loss. I think you know I suffer from it, if you ever want to discuss anything please let me know xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed and I've been meaning to talk to you about it actually x

      Delete
  3. I love my Tangle Teezer and I have tried going back to another brush but I can't :( Lol. I do however get a bit of hair loss through when brushing through my hair but I don't associate that with the brush as I get it without using the brush.

    I have tried the Primark dupe but I'm still unsure about whether I think it or not, lol. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's to do with the brush at all but was hoping the brush would help to reduce it x

      Delete
  4. I am so like you Mez, I have wanted to buy this for ages but just can't bring myself to do it. I have very long thick hair and I just don't think this would go through aalllll of my hair easily!

    Em

    x

    Em’s Mixed Bag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not having difficulty combing through it atm then you're fine to give it a miss x

      Delete
  5. If you are suffering from hairloss, start taking Vitamin B complex and fish oils. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh man I hate it when you want something for ages, you finally get it, and you're underwhelmed. Atleast now you get pain free hair brushing? :) And I agree with Danniella, try having some supplements, they might help! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never waste money on some thing like this-a hairbrush is a hairbrush. End of. Lol and you are aware that my hair is 23 inches long but even for that a standard £1 hairbrush from Primark does the job. I think hair brushes have nothing to do with hair loss. I'm fascinated that people would spend £7 on a hairbrush. And it's orange. Gosh.

    Kisses beanie xx

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)