Sunday, 3 March 2013

Sample Sunday - Origins skincare review.

Hi ladies

It's been a while since I did a Sample Sunday post. Today I'm coming at you with mini reviews (mine are never mini) of a few Origins samples I've picked up recently. The Origins counter in Selfridges London has this really cool sample policy. There are 6 pumps containing different products, with mini white pots that you're able to fill up. I didn't get all these in one day but I shouldn't think there's some sort of limit.

The green bag is the one I got when I bought lots of christmas baubles.
I have heard lots about Origins skincare but I tend to keep things cheap and as a result, Origins has never really been on my radar (despite all the good things I've heard).

I labelled these myself - I annoyingly didn't note down the product so had to google to find out what each product was. The assistant puts on a sticker with the product name but I replaced the ones that were labelled.

Origins Drink up Intensive Overnight Mask, Vitazing Checks & Balances frothy face wash, GinZing & Planscription Anti ageing serum
Top: Drink up Intensive Overnight Mask, Vitazing
Bottom: Checks & Balances frothy face wash, GinZing & Planscription Anti ageing serum

Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask - £20/100ml
This is the product I was the most excited to try out. I have heard great things and it is targeted for dehydrated skin. I was surprised by the cream coloured creamy texture because I thought it would be some sort of clear gel. It has a really fruity/peachy scent and is so smooth to apply. It doesn't sink in right away, instead it seems to create a barrier on the face which does it's job overnight. As it doesn't sink right in it feels weird putting your head to the pillow but I wouldn't dream of wiping away any excess with a tissue as suggested by the Origins website. I wake up with lovely smooth skin which I'm guessing is the effect of the hydration. I've just had a brainwave - I'll keep the rest of the sample to use on the 9 hour flight next week.

Origins Checks & Balances Frothy Face Wash - £17
This is a thick white creamy texture which has a refreshing minty scent. The teeniest amount spread really far and it left almost an opaque mask look to my face. As soon as I began washing it off I could feel immediately that this was probably a face wash for those of an oilier nature. As I rubbed my hands across my face it felt really frictiony (it's a word) - which might be what people refer to as squeaky clean? A quick google and hey presto - Origins says this is best for those with combination skin and it is meant to balance dry and oilier places. I I always go for moisturising products so this isn't something I would use but if I had oilier skin I think I'd be a big fan of the instant oil soaking results.

Origins GinZing Eye Cream - £21
This is an Origins best seller. It is a pink coloured eye cream that is meant to brighten and depuff the under eye area. Sadly, once applied onto the skin I didn't notice the difference between this cream and a normal white cream. It moisturised well but I don't really have anything ground breaking to report.

Origins Planscription Anti-Aging Serum - £46/30ml
This is a yellow thin texture that smooths over the skin really nicely. I apply it before the Overnight mask so I go to bed with very smooth, moisturised skin indeed. It is meant to help reduce wrinkles but in all honesty I can't comment on that. It really is expensive so it's not something I would purchase but it has been nice to try.

Origins VitaZing Moisturiser - £27/50ml
This is another best seller from Origins. I have left this till last because it is the only product that I feel warrants additional photos. It is a white thin liquid with little dark beads inside and has an SPF of 15. When you rub it in, it gives the skin a tint which helps to even it out and provide a 'radiance' as Origins describes it. It doesn't provide any coverage and as such I wouldn't call it a tinted moisturiser but in it's strictest sense, that is what it is. It doesn't moisturise my dry skin enough so I have to use a normal moisturiser underneath but that is always the case with me.


Origins VitaZing moisturiser - I used the cotton pad to show you how much of a tint you can actually get.


Before

After
As I said, it doesn't provide coverage so it is very light on the skin but it helps to even out the skintone and give a glow so it would make a nice everyday product for people like myself who don't use coverage on a day to day basis. I like that it doesn't look ashy in the slightest and seems to blend in the more you rub. I can't comment for very pale or very dark skin tones but it blends into both my face and hands (my hands are quite a few shades darker) without a problem - although at first it does feel a bit pink toned. The only issue I have with it is the foundation/paint like scent - although no other reviews seem to mention it so now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with mine!?

So that's that - I liked every product (other than the face wash as it isn't targeted at my skin type) and I'm glad Origins are so generous with their samples. It helps to avoid the awkwardness that ensues when you ask for samples at other counters and are made to feel tiny (cue scenes of Oliver asking for more food). I am yet to use the mini's that came in the Christmas bauble but I will report back when I do. Till then my first forage into the Origins brand has been quite a success.

Till next time...Toodles! :)

4 comments:

  1. These do look really lovely! I really want to try some of Orgins things. Check out my blog and see if you like what u see ;-)

    http://thepocketsizedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh do you think it would be worth investing in the frothy face wash??

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know the Origins did samples! I need to head down to my Boots and see if they do it there too.

    I'm a big fan of their rejuvenating cream, my skin feels gorgeous with it on! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, really helpful as I've not tried some of these Origins products. I'll definitely be adding them to my shopping list! I've just done a review on Origins Checks and Balances Face Wash and United State Toner if you'd like to check it out - http://bit.ly/1viaV5X

    Monica x

    Raid Her Wardrobe - A Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)