Monday, 29 April 2013

Mascara Monday - Clinique High Impact Optimal.

Hi ladies

I have had this mini size of the Clinique High Impact Optimal Mascara in my drawer for quite a while so as it was a mini size I took it to India with me to save some space. I managed to get this when the Clinique counter in Boots did the whole 'exchange an empty mascara for a new one' offer. The full size retails for £16 for 8g of product and I believe this is the one mostly referred to as just 'High Impact' (correct me if I'm wrong).

The packaging is a mix of black and dark green.


The Clinique website says that the brush and formula have been designed for thickening and separating. I haven't used a bristled brush for a long time (if ever) as it seems the past few mascara's I have reviewed have had a plastic brush which I hear are better for shorter lashes like mine. They have all been from inexpensive brands so I'm not sure if there's a pattern there.


I immediately disliked the mascara when I first used it. It made my lashes so clumpy and spidery as you can see above. Building up the coats just made it look worse! I did try it again and again to see if I could make it work and I'm happy to say it did get a bit better.


This is a very flattering angle for the mascara (believe me it didn't look this amazing) but this angle shows you clearly the lengthening properties. Although this mascara claims to separate and volumise I would say it doesn't do that very well but it does do a good job of lengthening. However, it takes a lot of effort to make it work for me and if I'm not careful it can easily look spidery which isn't a look I'm really into. This mascara in my opinion is only good for those that want a natural look because you can achieve that with a quick coat without trying to build up layers.

Maybe I'll like it more as it dries out or maybe I'm using it wrong (standard blogger response) but if anything changes I'll be sure to edit the post.

EDIT: I have continued to use it and have found that I can achieve the 'High Impact' the mascara claims. It really lengthens which isn't an edit as I mentioned it above (might be to do with the bristled brush catching all the lashes). Although it still clumps due to the thick formula, it means you can build up the 'intensity' quickly and I like it more since this review. However, I still wouldn't purchase it as I don't like to pay high end prices. (In hindsight seems a pointless edit but I feel bad when I don't think a review is as accurate as possible).

Here is the mascara built up to High Impact
Till next time...Toodles! :)

20 comments:

  1. I really didn't like this mascara. I found it was super clumpy and I'd just sit and pick it all off my lashes as it irritated me.

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used this mascara and doubt I will be anytime soon. I can see it gives that spider effect and clumpy is not the way forwardx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it definitely is not the way forward!

      Delete
  3. Shame is not working out for you :(
    I also prefer plastic brushes but I like this brush because it's not too big and very soft. I definitely want to try the new high impact extreme volume too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it works for you Alex. I think I need to stick to plastic brushes?

      Delete
  4. This is why I don't buy expensive mascaras, at least if a £5 mascara disappoints me, I have no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I've never bought a high end mascara either!

      Delete
  5. I got the same mini size of a while ago in the Boots swap thingy. It was actually ages ago before my blogging days - I don't think I disliked it intensely - seem to remember for me it thickened lashes up ok but was also clumped up quite a bit! Shame isn't it - although I don't think your lashes look bad at all to be honest Mez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think? I just found it too much effort. yay for the free swap thingy x

      Delete
  6. It is a little thick but I don't mind it too much!

    Your lashes actually look quite pretty in the above photo!

    Must say I prefer Lancome if it comes to high end mascaras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I prefer it when they're more separated x

      Delete
  7. you're new follower here :)

    wondergirlsbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fatema, I had a browse of your blog. The Glam Guru box looks amazing!

      Delete
  8. I have a weird relationship with this mascara - the mini versions I get at Bonus Time are amazing on my lashes, but the full size one ALWAYS clumps both in the tube and on my lashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I find the mini and full size ones can be different too annoyingly!

      Delete
  9. Personally i love this mascara, although find it overpriced. I hate Benefit mascaras, and think i'm the only one in the world that does... each to their own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a they're real sample in my drawer ready to test out :)

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I like trying new mascaras but always gravitate back to the pink Rimmel one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such long lashes mashAllah you could use anything and it'd look amaze x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)