Friday, 3 May 2013

Battle of the Micellar Cleansing waters - Bioderma, Etat Pur & L'oreal!

Hi ladies

This post is long overdue and maybe somewhat past the hype as throughout the winter I noticed the 'cleansing balm' hype. It was originally a post between the Bioderma and Etat Pur but then L'oreal jumped on the cleansing water bandwagon (making this post relevant again) and as it is 2 for £6 in Boots, I picked up one each for me and my cousin. The cheapest of the lot for 200ml is the L'oreal which usually retails for £4.99. Next up is the Etat Pur which is 190ml for £6.40 and lastly the 250ml bottle of the Bioderma (which is the closest in size to the rest although I have the 500ml bottle) is £9.99.

Etat Pur Bioderma L'oreal Cleansing water
I'm not quite sure why the Etat Pur cleansing water looks the colour it does.
Bioderma Crealine H20

Bioderma crealine h20 Cleansing water

Pros
- You can get really small and really big sizes, from 100ml to 500ml.
- It doesn't have a scent.
- It has now hit the UK, so no more ordering from France. You can order from John Bell & Croyden or pick it up from the store if you're in London.
- They have different coloured bottles targeted for different skin types. I have the pink cap which is for sensitive/normal to dry skins. Whereas the green bottle is for combination to oily skin.
- The bit where the product comes out from is the perfect size. You can pop a cotton bud there, turn it upside down and the product won't end up dropping, unlike the other two.

Cons
- The most expensive of the lot. Although you get 50ml more than the L'oreal, you can buy 2 of the L'oreal ones (even at full price) and get more for your money.
- If you don't live in London, you have to order online from what I can tell so that means delivery costs + the faff of not being able to pick it up as easily.

Etat Pur Micellar Cleansing Water

Etat Pur cleansing water B01

I don't have a lot to say because I dedicated a whole post to this product here.

Pros
- I like the fresh scent.
- You can get a 190ml bottle or a 400ml bottle.

Cons
- Again you have to place an online order which isn't the most cost effective or convenient. However, there is free delivery on your first online order and you get 3 samples.


L'oreal 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution

L'oreal 3 in 1 purifying micellar water

Pros
- Cheapest of the lot (especially with this 2 for £6 offer as you get 400ml worth of cleansing water for 6 quid).
- Convenient - So easy to pop into Boots/Superdrug and pick it up.
- A very thin bottle which makes it easy for travel.
- No noticeable scent.

Cons
- I can't think of any specific to this.


I gave them all a go and in short they all do the job of removing make up as you can see above. I did some heavy mascara and liquid liner work and they all took a cotton pad and cotton bud worth of removing. Despite having enough cleansing water I really wanted to see whether the high street could offer a dupe that worked just as well as the others and from what I can tell they all do the same job. I don't have a winner in terms of performance so I hope the breakdown of the other factors was useful. Maybe, if you have sensitive skin or a specific skin type, you would notice a difference in performance?

I'm aware cleansing waters shouldn't be the be all and end all to our night time cleansing routine but I love them for when I'm experimenting with make up as it's easy to wipe off an eyeshadow look and start the next one. I tend to use hot cloth cleansers when I'm cleansing at night but for those uber lazy nights or when travelling, I've long since said goodbye to wipes and have moved onto these.

Which is your favourite cleansing water?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

18 comments:

  1. I don't get the hype about these at all i'm afraid. I know it began because back in the day models/actresses/makeup artistes were always saying bioderma was their fave product. They totally make sense backstage where there is no running water etc but just not sure so necessary in "real life" plus all that extra cotton wool to waste. I know i'm in the minority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you're saying. For me personally I know it's not the best thing to use but it's a step up from face wipes. I don't use it to cleanse my face but it's a great make up remover for those quick moments. Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. excellent post !! I am yet to finf the loreal in store might have to order it online !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  3. Great post hun, it is nice to see someone reviewing them all at once xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Rachel. I love your blog header, very British haha :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to try these cleansing water phenomenas, thanks for this post and the heads up on the boots offer!

    breezeybee.blogspot.co.uk
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Mez :)
    I love cleansing waters to take off my makeup before cleansing. Could never put cleanser straight on my face and smush the makeup all over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to wipe away the top layer before a thorough clean isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I personally can't see the difference between these and using a toner. I will often quickly cleanse with my toner and then do a proper cleanse before bedtime. I haven't got into the hype surrounding them. I understand why you like the convenience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow that's interesting, I always thought toner was a step for after cleansing tbh

      Delete
    2. You can use toner however you like, there are no rules :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh is this the bottle you have for me? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedio, tis now in your possession :)

      Delete
  8. Might try it for taking off eye make up, but I usually just use oil to clean the face and then wash it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cleansing oil that I'm trying at the moment too :)

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)