Thursday, 9 May 2013

Rediscovered #1 - ELF 100 eyeshadow palette.

Hi ladies

If you follow me on twitter you'll know that I recently found this ELF palette hiding in the depths of my cupboard. When I first got this from ELF cosmetics a few years ago I tried it out a bit and didn't really give it a second thought once I built up my eyeshadow collection. However upon rediscovering it I thought I would play about with it once again.




As you can see it has so many colours and the different colour families are grouped up in columns. It starts with the very light highlight shades and warmer golden/neutral shades. It then has lots of brights greens, blues, purples, pinks, oranges and then cooler neutrals. The final column is a mix of silvers and blacks.



As you can see, some of the pigmentation is better than others but that is to be expected with such an inexpensive palette. It's bound to be quantity over quality but having said that, I really enjoyed playing about with colours that I wouldn't spend money on buying in a single form or a smaller palette.


I played about with it using the primer from the ELF primer & seal duo and applied it all with the ELF £1.50 essential range eye shadow and blending brush.

I tend to play about with make up at night so I had to use flash which obviously alters the impact of the shadow. The colours obviously weren't as vibrant as you can see in the photos below.

Here I tried a pinky/purple look on the left and a greeny combo on the right.

I then went for a black and red combo on the left and a neutral brown on the right.


The one look I did with daylight. Ignore the lack of blending, it was a race against the sunset.
In short, if you have an extensive eyeshadow collection this isn't something you need. Over time I have tried to reduce the palettes I have and I'm glad in hindsight that I lost this for a while as this would probably not have made the cut. However, despite being powdery (which results in fallout) it makes a good palette for me to practise different looks without having to worry about wasting expensive product. As you can tell I need a lot of practise with eyeshadow application and I imagine this is going to make the best companion for it over the coming months. 

Although this particular shadow was a Christmas limited edition thing and is no longer available on the website they have a 32 piece palette for £5. Nobody and I mean nobody should ever buy things full price from ELF because they have codes flying out left right and centre. To keep up to date you could sign up to their emails. If not ELF cosmetics then one of those non branded palettes from ebay would be good if you're looking to experiment to save your more expensive make up?

Anyway this was a random post but I thought I could try and make this 'rediscovered' thing a series. What have you rediscovered lately?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

8 comments:

  1. The green and black and red look amazing with your colouring xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looks and beautifully blended! :) I've just nominated you for the Liebster award, you can check out the rules here, http://zarasbeautyblog.blogspot.ie/2013/05/liebster-award.html
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zara, really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh! You must lend this to me so I can out yellow on my eyelids! Api won't let me buy a yellow eyeshadow but I really want it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugghhh so annoyed. Up until recently I had a barely used single yellow eye shadow but got rid. Could have given it to you :@

      Delete
  4. that's an amazing palette, for a really good price too! Your eyes look really nice, expertly blended something I need to master!

    xxx

    www.sarahkatepowell.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww shucks thanks Sarah. I'd say it was from expertly blended though x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)