Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Benefit they're real! mascara - worth the hype?

Hi ladies

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this particular mascara and I'm not surprised with one apparently selling every 3 seconds (how do they work out these stats?). I don't do high end mascaras but I have always wanted to try the UK's no1 best selling mascara and recently the mini sizes have been around a lot (mine comes from the Christmas advent calender days). I would usually trial out a product for longer before reviewing but this month it's the freebie with Elle magazine and that's why I wanted to get this post up. The full size retails for £19.50.





It is a plastic brush but as you must know by now, it's not the usual shape. It has this little domed top which is meant to allow you to reach the inner corner and smaller lashes. So what do I think?

I wouldn't ever actually apply mascara on my bottom lashes like this.
I am sick of saying things aren't worth the hype on my blog and mascara is such a personal thing so really I can't answer that, however, I'm not sure this works for me. I get the brush design is quite different and if that works for you then fantastic but I just found it quite flawed. There was too much product on the round ball thing that I had to keep wiping it off. I also found that while it definitely did lengthen it made my lashes clump together; making it look like I only had a few. I used the ball end to try and define the lashes but along with the wet formula it just made it clump together. I will continue to use it and hopefully will like it better as it dries out a little (as always if that is the case I will edit the post).

I had to use a disposable wand to try and separate the lashes after application.
If you want to try this mascara then maybe grab yourself the sample size with Elle magazine before the next edition is released. Having said that, I hear this mini version is quite different to the full size so who knows if you're getting the real deal? All I know is I won't be paying the £19.50 to find out.

Till next time...Toodles! :)

Edit: I think it's getting better with use. I use the 'hold the wand under the lashes and blink really fast' approach and that's helping to reduce any clump.

18 comments:

  1. Interesting. I tried (ie nicked out of my mum's bag when she was visiting) this very mascara last week and loved it - made my eyelashes look like perfect false ones, no clumping and stayed in place all day without flaking or smudging. Maybe it suits different eye lash types differently. Mine aren't nearly as long as yours. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have short stubby lashes but maybe it's the way I take photos. I really need to change that. You're right I think mascara's suit different eye lash types. Will keep using it and hopefully it'll work over time. Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. When I first bought it, I found it hit or miss whether it clumped or went on well. A benebabe told me to work on one eye at a time & apply the 2nd coat before the first coat was dry. Now it works a treat! I apply 3 coats for dramatic lashes, and it's also really nice as a 2nd or 3rd coat over Bad Gal mascara, which I apply one eye at a time too.
    I've only tried the full size, so can't comment if it's better or worse than the mini tubes. I've already bought a back up, which is rare for me with mascara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really do high end mascaras but like you, I wanted to try this so I got the freebie with the magazine. My packaging looks different tho... Weird! :S
    I don't think the formula is anything special but I do like the brush. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mascara was from an advent calender I think and not from the mag?

      Delete
  4. I hate it too!!!! It smudges everywhere and clumps and it so not worth the money or the hype, totally agree, I had it as my 'not so funky' in my may favourites on you tube it's that bad :) xxxxx

    www.mammafulzo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me mascara never smudges x

      Delete
  5. Agree, not worth the hype! Didn't like it at first and takes a few try's to make it work. Def wouldn't buy full size..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like it at first but like you think it's taken a few try's to make it work.

      Delete
  6. I won't be forking out either Mez. It's ok but not fantastic. Love the way you described the 'round ball thing'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this i keep getting asked am i wearing fake lashes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up this sample too. I've heard it's really difficult to remove so I'm a bit apprehensive about that. I hope it doesn't clump when I use as it as I hate clumpy mascaras :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to hearing your views x

      Delete
  9. High end mascaras are never worth the hype, Rimmel all the way mate! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a particular brand I'm loyal too but high street FTW!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)