Saturday, 15 June 2013

My Highlighter Collection - GOSH, MAC & Benefit.

Hi ladies

I was recently inspired to do a highlighter collection post when I got my hands on the MAC cream colour base in pearl last week. The smallest collection I have of any one product is highlighters so this shouldn't take too long. I only had the sample size of the high beam for the longest time, then I was nicely given the GOSH sun powder in March and then I bought the MAC last week from a lady having a clearout.

(Heads up - I'm beginning to experiment with editing photos so bare with me till I improve).


MAC cream colour base pearl benefit high beam gosh sun powder swatches

As you can see all 3 highlighters are different textures, different colours and obviously different brands. I didn't realise how little I used highlighters until I began this post so I'm glad I only own 3 and none of them are similar to each other.

MAC cream colour base pearl benefit high beam gosh sun powder swatches
Sorry - highlighters turned out to be difficult to photograph.

MAC cream colour base pearl benefit high beam gosh sun powder swatches

Benefit High Beam - £19.50/13ml
This is described as a satiny pink liquid highlighter. I grabbed this in the Glamour magazine last year for £2. It is small and you only need a little bit but the reason it is still around is basically because I just don't use it very often. Like I said in my review of this, posie tint and benetint, after carefully blending my base products, applying this on top just makes me nervous. I have to apply quite a bit for this to show up and that makes it harder to blend.

MAC cream colour base in Pearl - £14.50/3.2g
This is a creamy highlighter in a frosty white shade that is meant to be multi-purpose. I only got it recently and tweeted my initial disappointment. It isn't as pigmented as I first thought it would be and the creamy almost mousse like texture means I have to apply, blend and build.
Edit: How fickle am I? If you read this post just a mere 24 hours ago you would have read my initial thoughts were that I wasn't happy with it but in that time I got it to work for me.

GOSH sun powder swatch

GOSH Giant Sun Powder 001 - £13.99/28g
This is a golden powder highlighter. Well technically, this might even be a bronzer for fairer beauties, but a light dusting on darker skin will definitely give it a nice highlighted glow. The reason I put a separate picture of this is because I felt it was quite washed out in the picture above. I really like this and use a fan brush to lightly dust it on my cheekbones. It is huuuge and will last me forever (expiry obsessives I apologise). I need to see if GOSH do a cooler highlighter for when I'm not wanting gold.

So that is my highlighter collection. I have been tempted by MAC soft & gentle for so long but the two times I have swatched it, I've been disappointed by the chunkiness. The Dior highlighter that came out in the summer collection looks gorgeous too. Maybe once I find the perfect highlighter I'll begin using them more but I know one thing for sure; next time I'll be sticking to powder. Any recommendations?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

18 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the best one I can think to recommend to you was limited edition :( It's a No7 one that I love. Benefit's Sun Beam is lovely though, very nice mixed in to foundation. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't mix those sort of things into foundation as my skin is so dry.

      Delete
  2. As a makeup artist one of my favourite highlighter/illuminaters is Clarins Instant Light Complexion Perfector..easy to use, goes with everything, gives a gorgeous dewy glow, my next favourite is your MAC, love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I've heard of that. Thanks for recommending x

      Delete
  3. I would recommend Hush by MAC its a cream colour base I have a review of it on my blog:) great post I really want to try high beam.

    Shana

    xbeautybeatsx.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about hush but want to try something different to a CCB x

      Delete
  4. Im only recently getting into using my highlighters. So far I have the Benefit Girl Meets Pearl.... A benefit High Beam dupe by Technics and the MUA powder one. So I only have 3 too! Keep meaning to do a post on them. Enjoyed this post hun & your photos are fab! xox

    www.thestylekhaleesi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely. Looking forward to your post :)

      Delete
  5. Get The balm luminizer check my post on it
    www.anilafaruk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection hun, I love highlighters!!! I would recommend No7 skin highlighter, kevin Aucoin celestial Powder in Candlelight, Jemma Kidd dewy glow (she has rose gold and Iced gold), becca shimmering skin perfector, ... I think they are my favourite ones ^_^
    Big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only highlighter I have ever owned and used is Benefits High Beam, because I'm used to that one I'd be at a bit of a loss with a powder one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I'm impressed you only have one x

      Delete
  8. I really love the cream colour base, but much prefer Illamasqua Gleam in Aurora. MAC MSF's are probably my favourite highlighters :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gleam is definitely a future option x

      Delete
  9. I must recommend the Estée Lauder one you saw today! Holy Grail item even at £30! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)