Thursday, 27 June 2013

'The Power of Social Media' at IMATS.

Hi ladies

So as I said in my last post, I attended IMATS on saturday. There were lots of great talks and demonstrations throughout the day but I only attended one. The power of social media which was meant to be presented by pixiwoo but as they couldn't make it, Ruth Crilly from amodelrecommends took over. The amazing panel also included Louise aka sprinkleofglitter, Anna from Viviannadoesmakeup and Caroline Hirons aka skincare guru and the person behind beautymouth.


A few of the tips they shared:

  • Use the same name to link everything - twitter, facebook, instagram and of course your blog/youtube channel. Try to use the same name on all of them so it's easier to find you.
  • If you're just starting out, try to think of a name that is easy to say/spell so you're not spending 10 minutes spelling it out for someone when 'networking'. I'm looking at you makeuplover18372837 (apologies to anyone who actually has that name).
  • Be professional with what you say - if you want to be a professional beauty blogger, swearing in every other tweet might not be the way forward (I should add this tip clearly didn't apply to the talk. If you were there you know what I mean *wink wink*). Also airing your dirty laundry can be quite the put off for readers that aren't there to listen to that.
  • Don't be afraid to have an opinion - Caroline in particular was very vocal about this. Don't feel everything has to be positive or you have to agree with everyone's views.
  • How many posts a week? Anna said as many as you can fit in. Ruth said consistency/regularly is good e.g. posting every Tuesday and Friday so your readers know when to expect something. Louise said she schedules posts at the same time so her readers are used to her schedule and can swing by if they're free at that time.
  • Be a blogger not a blagger - Emailing PR's with an extensive high end shopping list when you have literally just begun blogging might not be a wise move. It gives us all a bad name.
  • Don't do it to become famous - if you have a passion for it and love doing it that will shine through.

They gave lots of great tips but to be honest it was the humour that made the talk such a great thing to be a part of for me personally. They all came across exactly like you would imagine. Anna was lovely, Louise was hilarious, Caroline was knowledgeable & opinionated and Ruth was just fantastic and confident with her hosting. Thank you for all the tips ladies (erm who exactly do I think is going to read this?).

I wish I had attended more talks throughout the day but I got sidetracked shopping and meeting people. I guess these are things money can't buy so I should have taken advantage of it. Oh the benefit of hindsight.

What would be your top tip for blogging/vlogging?

Till next time...Toodles! :)

17 comments:

  1. This is great Mez! I'd love to go to a meet the bloggers session. You picked up some interesting tips. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you went to IMATS!
    The tips are interesting, thanks for sharing! I was (and still am actually) in hesitation about how often to post too. A little struggle most bloggers deal with, I guess :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely a struggle, glad you found the tips interesting.

      Delete
  3. Great post, thanks for sharing :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Mez. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OPINIONATED???

    HOW. VERY. DARE. YOU!?!?!?

    ;)

    Cxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping someone filmed this talk, it sounds amazing! Thanks for posting the tips x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Great set of tips, I'm hoping now to go to IMATS myself next time insha'Allah! :D

    inamakeupminute.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounded like a great talk. All for ladies are lovely and have great blogs. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound like a good one Mez - fascinating if I may say so - wish I had the opportunity to attend 'stuff' like this! Great post and great tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, really wish I'd come. I love other people's lives. xx

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)