Sunday, 22 September 2013

My CARGO Cosmetics wins!

Hi ladies

So I was lucky enough to win a Twitter competition hosted by the lovely people at CARGO a while ago. To set the scene - my cousin was round my house, I got the notification and I screamed and ran around the room like a headless chicken. I never win competitions so this was a huge deal! A few days later these goodies came through the post. Although it may seem cheeky to criticise products when I was kindly given them as a prize - I am nothing but honest when it comes to reviews. So that having been noted, on we go...
I received a contour palette, lip gloss quad, eyeshadow quad and a mascara. I will be swatching them all for you today. I will leave the review of the mascara for another day though as I have some mascaras on the go and don't like opening new ones unless I'll be using them.

Contour Palette - 02 Monaco (£22)
The packaging is sleek in that it is thin and comes with a huge mirror. The outer part is that silver reflective material that is so anti-photographing.

The kit comes with a highlight, blush and contour shade - all of which are clearly labelled.

CARGO Contour Palette 02 Monaco swatches
I think the contour shade is most accurately reflected in this photo above. The other photos wash out the colour slightly.


  • Unfortunately the contour shade pretty much matches my skin colour so contouring with it is out of the question. 
  • The blusher is a shimmery peachy shade which on my skin takes a bit of building up and although shimmery blushes aren't really my thing this feels like a good quality blush.
  • The highlight shade is a completely different colour to other highlighters I have in my collection. It isn't the most subtle of highlights on me because of the contrast between the really light (almost white) coloured powder and my darker skin tone. I think I'll enjoy using this!

Overall, I think £22 is a very decent price to pay for a trio like this IF the shades work for you.

Lip Gloss Quad - Oceania (£15)
The lip gloss quad comes in a round, silver, lightweight tin. I thought at first it would be the cream blusher as that comes in the same packaging.
They have this quad in 3 different shades - Argentina seems peachier, whereas South Beach is more for the nude lovers. Oceania is the pinkest offering, with a deep purple to allow you to darken it up. Well that's the theory.

CARGO Lip Gloss Quad Oceania swatches

I should start by saying - I'm not really a gloss sort of girl. Especially not the palette variety but the colours looked really bright so I had high hopes for good colour pay off. Instead, I had to really build up the swatches and do a bit of editing to show you the colours. On a positive note, the soft and somewhat oily texture means it isn't at all sticky. I would describe these as high shimmer but low colour pay off.

Colour Eye Shadow Palette - Bermuda (£18)
The packaging for this is quite different from the rest of the range. I'm sure most people would like the design of this but personally it feels quite old fashioned to me.


This is a pretty little neutrals palette. A highlight shade, a medium brown with a cool undertone, a darker brown with a warmer undertone and a pinky shade. If you're a neutrals girl and need to go away for the weekend, this would be a lightweight and thin option to pop into your bag with a big mirror.

CARGO Colour Eye Shadow Palette Bermuda swatches

CARGO Colour Eye Shadow Palette Bermuda swatches

I don't have a lot to say about these. They look really glittery in the pan and I'm talking chunky glitter but the glitter doesn't really translate onto the lids. As soft as they are, I don't find they are pigmented enough to show up on me. It would take a lot of building up to get it to show up on my skin. I would therefore recommend this palette for those that don't mind the the effort it would require to make the colours appear more vibrant or those with fairer skin.

Overall, it doesn't seem my views are very positive. A lot of criticisms revolve around the products not being pigmented enough and maybe better suited for lighter skin. Having said that, I'm really grateful I won the competition and was given a chance to finally try some Cargo products after hearing rave reviews. I'm sure when I get the chance to choose products myself, they'll be better suited to my skin tone so I haven't written off the brand just yet. Thanks Cargo!

You can buy CARGO at the likes of BeautyBay and Debenhams..

Till next time...Toodles! :)

6 comments:

  1. congrats!!! Great prizes - i love the contour palette, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this all looks so good!! :) Love the fingertip swatches haha. You're so lucky.

    Kate H (UK Bloggers)
    3 Top Hair Masks Put To The Test!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these but that first quad looks AMAZING! Where can I get some!?

    fridayisforeverblog.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. popping over from UK Bloggers. Great win I always seem to miss competitions I enter all blog comps though. LOve that eye-shadow palette.

    http://jadesjourneyoflife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, wearable colours me likey very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lipgloss quad looks like something I would buy for an 11 year old who is excited but knows nothing about make up!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment lovely readers - I really appreciate it :)